Traditional Potato Gnocchi Recipe by Salvatore from Nonna Maria’s Pasta
1 Kilo of brushed potatoes
1 Whole egg
600 g Extra White 00 Flour (or plain flour)
Extra flour for dusting
Pink of salt
- Place rinsed potatoes in a pot of water and bring to boil until cooked (soft)
- Drain potatoes and cool
- Peel skin of potatoes when cooled down slightly (easy to touch)
- In a large bowl mash potatoes using a potato ricer* (preferred) or using a potato masher
- Add egg and pinch of salt and combine. Add flour in batches and combine until firm and easy to roll
- Place mixture on floured bench until soft and pliable. If dough to soft add extra flour and remember to not overwork the dough (this will make the gnocchi dense)
- Roll the dough out into long 30 cm logs and cut about 2 cm apart. Place on dusted tray until ready to cook.
Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add gnocchi (do not over crowd) and cook until gnocchi rise to the top (approx. 3 – 5 minutes).
Use a slotted spoon to drain and transfer to a bowl and mix/serve with your favourite sauce. We love to serve our gnocchi with simple Napolitano sauce finished with parmesan cheese or a blue cheese and cream sauce again finished with parmesan cheese.
Enjoy or as we say in Italy Bon Appetito!
*Potato ricers can be purchased in kitchen shops or available at Ikea for a small cost.
* Gnocchi can be frozen in single layers (not touching each other). When ready to cook, follow the same cooking instructions as above. Do not defrost before cooking.